Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A day in the life

Currently, I live in the suburb of Stanmore, 6 kilometers (3.5 miles) from the center of the city of Sydney in the stae of New South Wales (NSW), Australia.

My days start here, in the quit neighborhood of Cavendish Street:





View Larger Map

 My room is located on the second floor of the building. For the first two months here in Sydney I've been living in a single room. Forgive the uncleanliness of the following photos:



My weekdays usually start with an early morning train ride to the city for classes at teh University of Technology, Sydney. Luckily, the Stanmore train station is very close to my house. 





From Stanmore it's about a 15 minute train ride to Central, the hub of the transport system in Sydney. Most trains going to the Blue Mountains and up and down the coast depart from here. Also, the main bus terminal is located outside the train station. 

Central from the outside




My school is very close to Central Station. Note the building in the background of the next photo taken at central: 

Walking to the university, I pass the hostel I stayed at for my first week here in Sydney, "Wake Up! Hostel". My room was a 10 bed, mixed room with 5 bunks, but it was very clean. There's a good bar in the basement of the hostel called side bar; every night of the week it's packed with backpackers partying:

Wake Up! Hostel
On my walk I also pass my favorite, and most frequented, cheap Thai restaurant -- Satang Thai; a very small building is cramped with 4 or 5 Thai cooks and waitresses and a few tables. It's almost faster than fast food orders here; even around lunch time they manage to whip up great meals fast. Chicken Pad Thai is my dish of choice.










The University of Technology, Sydney is the only University in the city to have its main campus in the central business district, or CBD. There is actually no campus, but rather, a string of buildings spread over a few blocks in the city. It is here that I am studying on exchange and spend most of my weekdays. I have class from Tuesday to Friday here, about three hours each day.

View Larger Map






 

No comments:

Post a Comment